Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dreams



I have bad habit that I don't think many people share, I refer to all my dreams, even my nightmares, as dreams. People think this is funny, because half-way through my sharing my dream from the previous night they say to me, "that doesn't sound like a dream, it sounds like a nightmare". And to be honest, they're right, but, to be honest, I have a lot more nightmares than dreams.

I've always wondered why this was so...I'm a happy/optimistic person...it takes a lot to kill my everyday happy-to-be-alive buzz...but when I lay my head down at night, my mind is often full of these crazy, often cinematic nightmares, involving me running for my life...Here's an interesting confession, although most of my dreams are me fearing for my life, I have actually died in my dream...but that only happened once.

Last night's dream was especially notable. I never remember the beginnings of my dreams, but from the beginning of what I remember, Kyle, my immediate family, and I are sneaking into this secret room in the attic of this huge victorian house, and my mom is telling us to be as quiet as possible. We get inside the attic and it's this huge area, and some of my extended family are already up there. My oldest friend Michelle and her family are also up there. Somehow, the sense of fear dissolves, and everyone's voices start getting louder and louder. We eventually have a full blown party going, with music, and food.

Without notice, these police officers (or another authority figure, I couldn't tell you) start breaking into the house beneath us, and we can hear their footsteps coming up the stairs. But the partying continues, no one gives it a second thought, everyone is just laughing, and talking loudly and joyously. Then the police start banging on the secret door and start breaking through the walls and doors. The start asking everyone for their identification, and afterwards, they take the passports or ID's, then shove them towards this hallway. No one asks to see my identification, but Kyle, Michelle, and my immediate family have already been looked at, so instead of waiting alone, I follow them down this hallway. Somehow we're not in the house anymore, it's a dark dirt tunnel, but I can see the opening at the end. We end up outside, and over to the left, (this is where it gets disturbing) they're lining up all the children who are illegal immigrants (they all look somewhere between 3-6) and there's another line of children of the same age who aren't illegal immigrants. The soldiers are tying the illegals up to top of this machine, which looks like a carnival ride, the kind that lift high up in the air and spin around...and then the machine starts, and the kids are pulled up into the sky, while the legal kids are throwing rocks and shooting them. I'm shocked and horrified, and I can't stop weeping at the loss of all the innocent children. But we're still in line being pushed along the way and we have to watch. My family keeps telling me to quiet down, and that if I have to weep, weep silently because I'm attracting attention to us. But I can't stop crying, my entire body is shaking with this overwhelming devestation.

The line leads to this bus stop area, and my family/friends get into this strange bus, and the bus driver is at the back of the bus, and since I'm first into the bus, motions for me to keep going towards him. But it isn't a normal bus, instead of seats, there are these lumps of cushions that you have to climb over to get to the next row. He takes us to another area, and it's this big obstacle course, where we're only allowed to walk on this little path made up of puzzle pieces. There's this military general who's watching me cross the obstacle perfectly, but I'm still crying. He pulls me aside and asks me if I like Rihana, and I saw that I do (even though I'm indifferent, really), and then he lays out more puzzle pieces and tells me to dance back and forth across them. So I'm dancing, and dancing, and I wake up.

I'm probably the only person who has weird dreams like this...haha. Oh well, I just had to share it.

2 comments: