Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sloppy Joe, Sloppy Sloppy Joe...

There are many reasons I love Kyle...currently I'm grateful he puts up with me when I'm a big blubbering baby. Alliteration aside, I'm being quite serious, haha. Yes, being a woman means becoming completely irrational and out of control of your emotions at least once a month, however, I pride myself on being unlike the rest of the female population because I'm quite the bad-ass mother pucker! I'm kidding of course, though I do wish I was bad-ass, and I do make an effort. Rambling aside, I can't help but lose control at least one day a month...and it's usually a week, hah. 
Yesterday we needed to go out and buy a book, and we took the time to make berry waffles and shower, which made us nearly late to go to the book store which was suppose to close at 4:30, we're only like 8 minutes away from the book store, so we would've been on time, but of course I was feeling dramatic and decided crawling into bed and crying was a better option, hah. But of course, my knight in shining armor managed to convince me to go with him and we ended up getting the book after all because the store didn't close until 6, go figure, hah. We went home and were hungry, so we decided to try to make something to eat before going back out. We ended up deciding to make vegan Sloppy Joe's. After finding a bunch of recipes and realizing we didn't have the real makings for Sloppy Joe sauce, especially because we don't have a key ingredient, Worcestershire sauce, nor do we have BBQ sauce (a sin, I know, haha). So we decided we'd make a concoction of our own...and then we slightly disagreed on how to do the sauce, stirring it in a bowl, blending it, or just throwing it into the pan and adding stuff as you go (my preferred method of cooking). I once again decided that crawling into bed/hiding under the covers/crying would be productive, and Kyle for the second time of the day held me, wiped away my tears, and cheered me up.

Oh the joys of having an understanding boyfriend/best friend. :)
Anyway, we decided to blend the ingredients, and let me tell you, it turned out amazing! I won't tell you extreme details because it is now an official secret sauce (I'm not gonna lie, I've always wanted to have a secret sauce!) but I'll give you a basic over view and leave out the crazy awesome ingredients :p 
This "recipe" made 2 sandwiches :)

For the "meat" part of the sandwich, you should use a "ground beef" that you're comfortable cooking with, we personally use:
For measurement purposes, I used about half of the package...
To start things off, you'll want to chop up about half a white onion and fry 1/3 of that it in a pan with some oil (I'd recommend vegetable or olive) on a medium heat. Once the onion is predominantly see through, add the "ground beef" to the pan and mix it about. Add a dash of salt and pepper for flavor. Stir things up a bit occasionally to make sure nothing burns :)
Next, you'll want to bust out a blender or food processor. We ended up making a hefty amount of sauce, hah, so you might want to make a little less than we did. We had recently used some diced tomatoes as well as some tomato sauce, and so as to save space in the 'fridge, we mixed the left overs into a single Tupperware space of about 20oz
We threw all of that sauce/diced tomatoes into the blender and added: 
2 cloves of Garlic
Remaining 1/3 White Onion
1 1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Red Chili Pepper Flakes
 1 dash of Oregano
1 dash of Cumin
1 cup of Ketchup
4 tsp. of Mustard 
1 pinch of Salt 
Plus 3 Secret Ingredients (maybe if you ask super nicely, I'll tell you...)

We then blended a whole lot, and then blended some more...and then some more. Then we waited a minute, and blended even more!

 

After our blending, we then dumped enough sauce to cover the "ground beef" and let it simmer for a good 5-10 minutes on a low heat. Remember not to drown the "ground beef", and simmering will help the meat thoroughly absorb the flavors of the sauce.
We then grabbed to hamburger buns and toasted them in our toaster oven.
Take the buns out and put a good amount on the bottom bun, then sprinkle some of the cheddar cheese on that (we use Soy Sensation) and then put a little more slop on top of the cheese and put on the top bun. Hopefully your sandwich looks something similar to this little guy:

 Well, that's all for our Sloppy Joe recipe! If you ever make them, let me know how the turn out! Although we didn't personally add these specific ingredients to the sauce (because we didn't have them) they would have complemented the flavors quite nicely: lemon juice, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment