Sunday, April 4, 2010

Woohoo!

Such a great Sunday!
First, Happy Easter to all who celebrate it! :) I hope your day was full of Jesus-lovin' and chocolate bunnies!

Second, I'm officially employed! Woo-hoo! So, back stories are necessary because one day I'll look back on this entry and think to myself, "aww I remember that Sunday!".

So, last Wednesday I saw an ad on Craigslist that stood out among all the other ads (even the previous ones I've seen that I thought sounded good for me) it said they were opening up a vegan chocolate shoe store (The Chocolate Shoebox) 4mins away from my apartment and that they were looking for someone vegan-minded who had some retail experience.

I LOVE (vegan) CHOCOLATE & SHOES! and I have retail experience! So I called them up, left a message, and two days passed by without me hearing from them. I started getting a little antsy worried that maybe I should have left more info about myself in the message, all I said was that I was interested in the job, my name, and my phone #! I was also really tempted to call them back because maybe my message got lost somehow, or maybe they weren't listening to the messages. But, Friday afternoon I got a phone call :)
The little phone interview went phenomenal, have you ever just clicked with someone and decided mentally that you'd be great friends? That was basically what happened, lol. I was told at the end of the conversation that I was a top contender because I sounded sweet, and because she could tell we clicked too, so she (the Physician) said she'd talk to her hubby (the English teacher) and get back to me within a few days if they wanted to meet me in person. I was so happy because I felt like it went really well, I plopped myself down on the sofa and told Kyle all about it, within 10 mins she called me back and asked if I could meet up with them sometime this weekend! She asked if Sunday around 2:30 was alright, and I said yes :) I was super nervous this morning getting ready, but really excited because I felt like I pretty much had the job...I got the call back, I got the face-to-face interview, so I just tried to be as confident as possible. Kyle came with me, for moral support, lol, and to drive me, the neighborhoods get a bit tricky when you don't know them really well, and parking can be such a b*tch! I could barely parallel park my little corolla...that'd never happen with our Jeep, lol, I'd totally f-it up...so he drove...we actually drove past it, backtracked, and he walked out with me to help me find the place :)

Mr. English teacher was standing outside of the store, and so we walked over to the coffee house where his wifey was waiting, after saying "Hi" and introducing herself, she told me I was just as cute as a button (I knew this was going to go fine from this point on, lol). So I told them a little bit about myself, gave them my resume, we talked about me, we talked about the store, I found out a little bit about them, they married recently and spent their honeymoon in Morocco (neat, huh?) and they're now opening up the store as their side project. They're really looking for someone who can commit to the store/the company, grow with the business, and later help them out as being the manager and eventually vice president. They liked that I'm a photographer and do graphic work, as well as the fact that I have a journalism background. Also, the fact that the majority of my retail work was in the shoe department at Target totally helped! Basically, I'm the perfect fit for them skill-wise, and personality wise. They think I'm sweet and even-tempered, friendly, and bubbly :) They like that I'm a foodie because they're foodies too and they even promised to keep me well fed, hehe. Oh, and went they asked if I had any pets and told them about Bambina sadly not being able to move up with me, they even told me that their cat is going to be the unofficial mascot for the store, and that she can be my temporary pet :)

I'm so incredibly excited to start working with them, this is kind of what I was looking for in a job, and the hours are great, it's close enough that I could bike there, the pay is good, and they're really nice :) I'm really looking forward to seeing where this path takes me :)

In other words: yyyyaaaayyyyy!

p.s. to celebrate we got subway which we snuck into the movie theaters (we saw Hot Tub Time Machine and it was better than we expected!) yes, we snuck in the entire meal. I'm not even kidding, a foot-long sub, a bag of chips, and our big soda, all fit in my purse and I didn't even have to take anything out, nor is it a big purse! lol! life is goooood :D

2 comments:

  1. ahh i can't even express how happy i am for you! you've been waiting so patiently for the perfect job to come along:)

    and it's fantastic that there's a lot of room for growth, too.... maybe this will be your chance to see how owning a business works, hmm? i can see you starting up one of your own one day, little missy, so learn the ropes!

    also: i think it's so freaking cute that the owners are a physician and an english teacher. it's like me and b but in reverse:)

    love you! i might seriously look into airfare to visit you this summer... maybe i'll do that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D thanks love! yeah, this just feels so right! and the whole process so far has been kind of what I expected it to be like, rather than trying to lure a potential employer with my rather plain resume, I was allowed to just be me! and I just so happen to be exactly what they're looking for! :)

    p.s. yes, come visit meee! :)
    p.p.s. what's even cuter is that their initials are also S & B...Sadaf is the Mrs, Brandon is the Mr!

    ReplyDelete