Saturday, March 6, 2010

Just some thoughts...

So, my revelation that I don't want to work with 1-5 year-olds was kind of enlightening...I began to question why I wanted to be a teacher at all. Yes, ideally, I'd work with students grades one and up because I really like working with kids in that age group. I enjoy helping kids learn how to read, spell, learn simple math. I like the fact that if/when I became a mom, it'd be a profession flexible around that. Although I'd want to be a stay at home mom for my children's early years, and hopefully I have them sequentially, I know that once they're old enough and going to school themselves, I'd like to go back to work. (Yes, I over-think stuff)
 
BUT
(Now keep in mind that the following thoughts were products of me being awake around 3am last night)

I began to think that maybe I think I want to work with kids so much because I know I'm really going to look forward to being a mom. Also, while I would enjoy teaching...I started doubting that teaching was something I'd want to do forever.

So then I began trying to think about other things I passionately care about. While doing this I was browsing some of my favorite vegetarian/vegan recipe sites. I discovered a local vegan/organic doughnut shop (they're also incredibly environmentally conscious! ) http://www.mightyo.com/ ! I started making a mental grocery list...(in addition to attempting to make my own vegan doughnuts, I found this great vegan alfredo recipe that I just HAVE to try for old time's sake (old times being when I could eat dairy))

And then it hit me. Ever since I became vegetarian my sophomore year of HS, I've spent a LOT of time in the kitchen. My mom didn't exactly approve of my lifestyle change, so she told me that if it was something I really wanted to do, I'd have to be able to cook for myself, while maintaining an adequate diet (she even took me to a nutritionist!). I love cooking as much as I love eating what I've made! Cooking is such a large part of my life! I truly enjoy it (even when it's frustrating) because while I use a lot of recipes, I enjoy branching off the main recipe and making something special. Some creative experiment of my own that is usually better than what the original recipe would've produced.

So after all of this thinking...and after joking with friends (Sarah) about opening my own healthy restaurant. What if I were to make that a reality? I'm in between schools right now, so what if I just finished my schooling at a Culinary Institute? There are so many vegan friendly restaurants up here...but not so many in San Diego (which is where we'll probably (maybe) end up moving to eventually). Plus the fact that healthful eating is on the rise! More and more people are trying to eat better and healthier. I can name you all the vegetarian/vegan places in SD on my hands! And when I was living there, we were regulars at all those places because there's only so many to choose from! What if I opened up my own place? Or started a catering business (not too many vegan catering businesses)?

Obviously that's not where I'd start right out of school. I'd work at someone else's restaurant until eventually I started one on my own...but still...I can picture myself doing this. I can see my cute little place where my friends enjoy stopping by and hanging out (so many of my friends don't eat meat!) and enjoying the food. Brightly colored walls exhibiting art from local artists (maybe a few of my photographs). Using locally grown produce, making everything from scratch, supplying recyclable silverware, and ensuring that every main entree is well rounded nutritionally speaking. Maybe I'll even put together a cookbook one day!

Instead of joking about how much fun it would be...why don't I just do it?
(Obviously this is another session of late night thoughts, but I munched on the idea all day, and it still sounds good. So, I think I'm gonna sleep on it for a little while longer. Talk to people about it and hear what they have to say. I already sort of told my mom about this earlier, poor lady's always the first to hear about my most recent change of heart, lol. She likes the idea, which is a good sign. But my mom will support whatever I choose to do, haha)

1 comment:

  1. you are so silly!

    if it's something you really think you want to do, you have to stay committed, girl. culinary institute is the most expensive kind of education!

    but it does seem to be a profession that makes sense for you... just make sure you think it through (haha as if you don't obsessively think of these things to begin with, but you know what i mean!)

    <3

    ReplyDelete